Frequently Asked Questions on Verification of Marks:
Please note that this paper is merely an attempt to provide answers to questions on the subject, posed to us, by the candidates from time to time, to the extent possible and with reference to the extant scheme of examination. However, this compilation is neither exhaustive not does it purport to be a source of complete information on the subject. Hence, candidates are advised, in their own interest, to refer to the “Guidance Notes” supplied along with the examination application form, besides referring to the Chartered Accountants Regulations, 1988.
1. What is meant by verification of marks?
The process of verification of marks covers the following:
- Whether the answer book(s) compilation is complete
- Whether any question or part thereof has remained unvalued
- Whether there is any totaling error in any question or total marks on the cover page
- Whether there is any discrepancy between the marks for each question and or/part thereof and marks for each question indicated on the cover page of the answer book
- Whether the handwriting of the candidate in all the answer books is the same.
However, there is no provision for re-evaluation of the answer books.
2. What is the procedure for verification of marks?
A candidate can apply for verification, either physically in his own handwriting, or on-line from http://icaiexam.icai.org within a month from the date of declaration of results, giving specific details of the following along with the requisite fees:
- Student Name
- Student Registration No
- Month and year of the exam
- Roll No
- Paper(s)/subjects to be verified
- Address for communication
If the candidate makes a physical application, it must be in the handwriting of the candidate. If the candidate had appeared in Hindi medium, his/her application should be in Hindi.
Typewritten applications will not be entertained.
There is no standard format as such for such application. However, the application should be duly signed by the candidate.
3. Where should the physical application be sent?
The physical application for verification along with the fees should be sent so as to reach us within a period of one month from the date of the declaration of results, at the following address, by Speed Post or Registered Post:
The Additional Secretary, (Exams)
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
New Delhi 110 002
Do not send your application by courier/ordinary post. Please superscribe the envelope with the name of the exam, i.e. Final or PCE or IPCE as the case may be.
4. What is the fees for verification of marks?
- For Final, PCE, IPCE/ATE/Units-Rs 100/- per paper subject to a maximum of Rs 400/- for all the papers of a group/both groups.
- For CPT: Rs 200/-.
- For Post qualification courses ISA, DIRM, ITL&WTO, MAC/TMC/CMC: Rs 500/-
5. What is the mode of payment of the verification fees?
In case you are submitting a physical application, verification fees is to be paid by way of a demand draft drawn in favour of “The Secretary, The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India” payable at New Delhi.
In case you are submitting your application on-line, you can make the pay the verification fees on-line by using debit/credit card either Master/Visa card.
6. Can I submit my application for verification of answer books, on-line?
Yes. The facility for submission of verification applications on-line, is available for candidates of CA Final, IPCE and PCE examinations. You can submit your applications from http://icaiexam.icai.org and also pay the verification on-line.
Detailed steps in this regard are given in the above mentioned website.
You will have to upload the scanned copy of your handwritten request.
However, there is no need to send the print-out of the on-line verification application by post.
Both options, i.e., manual as well as on-line, are open to you. You can choose to send your application manually along with the Demand Draft for the applicable fees, by registered post or speed post or submit your application on-line.
7. Is there any difference in the verification fees between on-line submission and physical submission of verification application?
No. The verification fees is the same, whether you submit your application on-line or send it physically.
8. I have already applied for inspection/certified copies of my evaluated answer books. Can the same application be treated as an application for verification also? Can I apply for verification after I inspect/get copies of my evaluated answer books?
An application by an examinee seeking inspection of his/her evaluated answer books and/or certified copies thereof is independent of and distinct from an application made by him/her for verification of marks under the existing Regulation 39(4) of the Chartered Accountants Regulations, 1988.
An application for inspection/certified copies is not treated as a verification application.
Inspection/certified copies of evaluated answer books provides information for your academic guidance but does not provide any remedy in case of any discrepancies that may be noticed in inspection/certified copies.
The remedy lies in the process of verification of answer books, which is independent and distinct from the inspection/certified copies process. Hence, you may make a separate application for verification of answer books, without waiting for inspection/certified copies of answer books.
9. Can I apply for, both, verification as well as inspection/copies of my evaluated answer books?
Yes. You can apply for both verification as well as inspection/copies of your evaluated answer books by following the prescribed procedure. However, in case you send them by post, do not send both the applications together in the same envelope. Send them by separate envelopes. Take care to superscribe the envelope with the name of the examination, the application relates to.
10. How long does it take to get verification result?
The verification process is meticulously drawn up exercise and it therefore takes time which may run to about 6-8 weeks. Though it will be our endeavour to inform the outcome of verification in respect of an exam at the earliest, yet the same cannot be assured, due to time consuming processes involved. However, all such candidates who do not receive the response latest upto 15 days before commencement of the next exam, may send an email to the exam dept. at the contact details as given below.
11. What are the possible outcomes, that may arise out of verification of marks:
The verification exercise may result in
- No change of marks
- Increase of marks, impacting result or exemption in one or more paper(s)
- Increase of marks, which does not have an impact on result or exemption in one or more paper(s)
- Decrease of marks
Candidates can check the outcome of their application for verification (whether submitted physically or on-line) from http://icaiexam.icai.org. A written communication is also sent to the candidate concerned, at the address mentioned by him/her in his/her application. In case of revision of marks, a revised mark statement/result (as the case may be) is also sent to the candidate.
12. Can a candidate get a refund of verification fees in case of change in marks pursuant to the verification?
Yes. In case of change in marks, the verification fee is refunded to the candidate automatically. There is no need to make a separate claim for refund. In case, he/she had also applied for the next exam, pending the outcome of the verification and the outcome of verification, results in his passing the earlier exam, the examination fees paid by him/her for the next exam is also refunded.
13. I have not received any communication from the Institute regarding my application for verification of marks of the previous exam, so far. However, the last date for submission of application form for the next exam, is fast approaching. Should I apply for the next exam or not?
You may submit your examination form for the forthcoming examination, if you so wish, pending receipt of the outcome of verification of answer books of the earlier exam. However, no extension of time for submitting of examination application form will be allowed under any circumstances.
14. How does a candidate contact the Institute to check the outcome of his/her verification application?
The outcome of the verification of all those who had applied (whether through on-line mode or physical mode) will be hosted on the website http://icaiexam.icai.org and a written communication will also sent to the concerned candidates individually.
The candidates are advised to check the said website from time to time regarding the outcome.
They can also send an email at the following email IDs, as per the exam: